BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

1.23.2008

5 second rule

For school I had to read an article about the 5 second rule. You know the rule when you drop some food and you hurry to pick it up. The best part is that if you pick it up in 5 seconds it's all good. No bacteria will be found because you picked it up so fast. I had this happen to me this morning with my toast. I was walking to my car and dropped my toast on the ground. I hurried to pick it up and could not bring myself to eat it. Even though I did pick it up in less than 5 seconds. After reading the article I realized how fast bacteria can grow on food. My question to you is do you follow this rule or not? Also any fun stories on this subject?

4 comments:

Lorilee said...

I follow the 5 second rule (I think it's funny they were teaching you about it at the University of Utah....haha)

actually as long as there are no hairs, or little rocks, or sand on it, it usually goes right back into my hand on its way to my mouth.

Chism said...

Something I noticed about the 5 sec rule is that depending on the season, I will eat whatever fell on the ground. For example in Winter, I would throw away the food, whereas in Summer, it doesnt bother me.
Maybe I am just a fan of summer.

KYLe said...

I don't have a problem with eating food on the floor. I am sure it is no worse than what is on the hand of the food preparer at your favorite restaurants.

Holly and Dave said...

Not only do I follow the 5 second rule, but in my mind it's the 10 second rule. I've also been caught taking food out of the garbage can- as long as it's on top or wrapped up in something clean, it's all good to me!